Job Title: Maintenance Worker – Download PDF
Department: Support Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Performs repair/renovation and/or routine preventative maintenance to facility buildings. Work involves making inspections, maintaining and repairing buildings, utility systems, and stationary equipment, dependent on the trade involved. Completes paperwork and maintains work order records. Communicates verbally and in writing, possibly using electronic equipment. May be required to perform other tasks to include operation of a motor vehicle, making deliveries, picking up supplies, and other incidental tasks.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following
Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Report any/all suspecting abuse or neglect to the Administrator on duty and the DFPS hotline at www.txabusehotline.org or 1-800-252-5400.
- Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs inspections, adjustments, maintenance and repair work on building systems in accordance with recognized codes and standards for various trades such as plumbing, HVAC, welding, carpentry, painting and electrical. Uses hand tools or equipment while performing repairs or inspections. Follows directions in performance of duties.
- Performs repairs and renovations to modernize a building, building system or adapt it to new uses. Identifies necessary information such as time required to perform repair/renovation and physical location of necessary repair/renovation.
- Uses hand tools, power tools, test and safety equipment as necessary to perform needed repairs/renovations/installations.
- Accurately process and maintain records on work orders, projects and material requisitions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Knowledge of building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC, sanitation, refrigeration, and/or electrical systems.
- Knowledge of industrial safety, fire and safety regulations.
- Skilled in preventive maintenance, inspections of buildings and building systems.
- Skill in the use of hand tools, power tools and equipment.
Ability to follow instructions, and to interpret drawings, schematics, or sketches.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally or in writing with other members of the facility team.
EDUCATION, LICENSURE and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or equivalent
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear, concise, effective manner.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or oral form.
Valid Texas driver’s license, appropriate insurance and reliable car.
Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
Must submit to pass random drug tests during employment.
Must successfully pass all background screens as required by the state.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work duties may include, but are not limited to: heavy lifting, 45 lbs. & over, climbing ladders, pulling, repeated bending, reaching above the shoulder, twisting, kneeling, pushing, and stooping.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.